Gaming with Bacon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greetings, Programs!

5 posters

Go down

Greetings, Programs! Empty Greetings, Programs!

Post  SlamDance Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:19 am

Hi, everyone! I think I know some of you already from various places, especially Sugarbuzz, who wouldn't stop nagging me on Facebook until I signed up here! Very Happy

To those of you I'm yet to meet: Hello. I'm Rob, I'm in my mid-thirties and I live in Cairns. I'm married to a lovely wife, we own a pair of gorgeous dogs and we have a nice house on a good block of land.

To paraphrase the great Jules Winfield, y'all happened to catch me while I'm in a transitional period gaming wise. See, my XBL subscription is going to lapse in the next month and I'm not planning on renewing it. I used to be pretty hardcore into Halo, while I loved Reach's multiplayer at the start I just... lost enthusiasm somehow. I played Gears of War for a bit but all the roadie-running made me motion-sick and I've never been keen enough on Call of Duty to plonk down even $40 on a copy.

I'm still doing the odd bit of PC gaming, but as my computer was mid-range spec after I last upgraded it five years ago, I'm not running anything intensive. If I play, it's mostly the Last Stand mode of Darn of War II (so of you feel like trying to rack a high score up sometime, let me know).

So what am I doing instead?

• Tabletop Gaming. Lately I've found myself wanting to get back into getting together with a bunch of folks around a table and have some gaming fun. This has been helped by the recent opening of a comics and collectables store in Cairns a couple of months back; they've started stocking Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder, Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay (including the Space Marine roleplaying game, Deathwatch) and even Munchkin.

• The main reason I'm not renewing my XBL subscription is because I spent the money I had budgeted for it on Deathwatch. There's been a Games Workshop in town for a good couple of years now, so I reckon I can find some folks interested in playing. I've also got a game in the works with a couple of mates in Sydney and a couple in the States using an online program called Roll20. They've made characters up and we're close to being able to play the first session.
    • Instead of a video game, I reckon my next geek purchase is a card game called Android: Netrunner. I used to play the original Netrunner CCG back in the late nineties - I even won a tournament - and I'm itching to get my mitts on this resurrected version.

• Writing. I've just re-vamped my web log (again) and am finally at the point where I'm blogging about interesting stuff in (I hope) an interesting manner. I've also got a first draft of a novel that I want to edit and publish in blog format, and another novel I've had knocking around in my head for years that I'm still wrestling with the plot of.

So I'll probably be noodling around mostly in the PC, Other Platforms (I reckon a table top counts as a platform), Non-Gaming and Blogs areas.

Hope to get to know you folks better there!

Last edited by SlamDance on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed some formatting.)
SlamDance
SlamDance
Thawed
Thawed

http://www.robf.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Greetings, Programs! Empty Re: Greetings, Programs!

Post  Rexler Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:58 am

Welcome Rob,

Glad you've finally listened to Jen and signed up. It's good to read a little about you. Reading about your table top gaming, I think we need a thread dedicated to this topic, I enjoy a little bit of table top gaming from time to time, though I don't do much of the D&D style game, I'm more into the Settles of Catan, Carcassonne, etc type.
Rexler
Rexler
Cooked
Cooked

Back to top Go down

Post  scott2184 Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:36 am

Feel free to use the Other Platforms area for your table top gaming discussion stuff, ya bunch of nerds! Razz

Apart from that, welcome Rob. Good to see you showed up.
scott2184
scott2184
Crispy
Crispy

Back to top Go down

Post  SlamDance Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:06 am

Hey, Rexler, Taswegian! Good to see you both and thanks for the welcome!

Rex, I actually discovered a Cairns Boardgaming group on Facebook recently, so I might wind up playing a lot more actual board games in the near future! (I played Dominion at a friend's buck's night a couple of years ago and had a good bit of fun, too...)
SlamDance
SlamDance
Thawed
Thawed

http://www.robf.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  sugarbuzz82 Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:33 pm

I only nag when i know ppl should be here Wink
sugarbuzz82
sugarbuzz82
Crispy
Crispy

https://gamingwithbacon.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OBLIVION Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:32 am

welcome SD! afro
OBLIVION
OBLIVION
Cooked
Cooked

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum